- Set your programmable thermostat as high as is comfortable in the summer, and raise the setpoint when you're sleeping or away from home.
- Clean or replace filters on air conditioners once a month or as recommended.
- Turn off kitchen, bath, and other exhaust fans within 20 minutes after you are done cooking or bathing; when replacing exhaust fans, consider installing high-efficiency, low-noise models.
- During summer, keep the window coverings closed during the day to block the sun's heat.
- Turn off electronics/screens when not in use. You may not realize it, but heat is being generated and released into the home while your computer screen or tv remains on.
- If possible, have a whole home fan installed. Fans use less energy than an A/C, and are a great way to circulate air in the home and cool it off.